Sunday, January 2, 2011

Have garden blog, will travel

I don't really do resolutions, but if I did, my resolution this year would be to make the effort to travel more.
I have a terrible tendency to be a bit of a stay-at-home - partly, I suppose, because I work, so I never get to spend quite as much time in my house (or under my duvet) as I would ideally like.
However, 2010 was a great year for going places and meeting people and it reminded me that yanking myself out of my comfort zone, suitcase and passport in hand, is actually very enjoyable, not to say therapeutic.
I've just had a tweet from Zoe asking me if I'm going to the Malvern Spring Show this year. Consider it booked, Zoe - and congratulations on the new blog.
The American bloggers are having a get-together in Seattle this year. I was encouraging Pam to go, when she quite rightly turned round and asked me why I didn't take my own advice. I'm already looking up flights, Pam.
And I've just read Will's account of a visit to the wonderful St Rose Nursery in Grenada while he was lecturing along with Matt Biggs on a Caribbean cruise. I'd love to go on one of those too, but I think it may have to wait. Disappearing in term time is difficult - but when my daughter goes to university next year, just try stopping me!
I think as Gail and Frances proved, when they came to the UK spring fling in May, travelling is really a state of mind. You have to be open to adventure, to new faces, to new ideas. And that's a great attitude with which to start the new year.


I don't usually listen to music while I'm blogging. But this evening my daughter recommended Sleep by Eric Whitacre, from the album Light and Gold. I recommend it too.